Saturday, January 25, 2014

Diary of a New Dad | First Bottle Feeding! Gulp.

Brittany had a dentist appointment a few weeks ago and left for an hour. During that time Zoey was super hungry, and there was absolutely nothing I could do besides hold her closely, entertain her, whisper in her ear, play some music, change her, etc. But when it came to actually satisfying Zoey's little stomach (feeding), I was 100% helpless. It was terrible!

Fast forward to yesterday morning... Britt was about to head out to coffee with a friend and told me she had pumped milk for Zoey for the first time (which is quite a story in and of itself), and that I would need to feed her at some point.

I looked right at my bride and said with gentle assurance and said,

What she didn't know is that I felt about as ready as this guy was for the 2nd escalator:

Mommy left. Gulp. It was only a matter of time. I knew Zoey would eventually need to eat.
 We hung out for about 30 minutes, everything going well but in the back of our minds we both knew what was about to transpire. Z looked at me, made eye contact, gave me the look, and communicated the following message:

I knew it was time to have the amazing and rewarding experience of satisfying her hunger. At the same time, there are no guarantees of a good latch. There could be nipple confusion, too much (or not enough) flow, or a number of other factors. I took a deep breath and prepared to make the switch from pacifier to bottle...

She latched on to that thing right away!

Success!!!

But then, less than 5 minutes later, the bottle was empty...

The milk was gone!! However, Zoey gave a good burp and fell asleep in my arms right away. I held my girl closely against my chest, giving myself an internal round of applause.

Britt had an amazing time out, got home and asked how it went. Words were not necessary. 
Only this brave, manly, heroic nod.

We exchanged high fives, and called it a morning. Woohoo!!

TO BE CONTINUED...

4 comments:

  1. My husband and I laughed so hard at this! The Indiana Jones pic was my favorite!
    Happy Parenting,
    Lauren @ cornwellfam.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the laughs! Congrats on your sweet girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this made me laugh so hard! As the bfing mama of a 5 month old - story of my life! I will definitely be passing this along to my husband who, I'm sure, will love it even more than I did. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bahaha, this is freaking awesome! Great job feeding your little one and putting together such a great GIF post!

    ReplyDelete